Wednesday, January 27, 2010

We all live in a yellow bus.

Our peak period has been over for some time and we are fairly sure that the 'big' day must have been the first day of the seven. My wife seems overly pissed about this but I have told her that anything we do tends to have some interesting issues. "Remember, the yellow bus?" - this brought a smile to her face.


The Yellow Bus
On our wedding day, in Puerto Rico, my wife and I had planned almost everything to the letter. Key people were accounted for and even her normally wayward father was strapped in place well before the ceremony. We had even resolved to start the ceremony on time - no matter who was late.
I stood to attention at the front of the church with my best man. (I am of Indian heritage but not so sensitive that I can't say my vows before the altar of Christ - I did so dressed in traditional Indian garb as a head-tip to my father and mother.)

My wife was in her limo making her way to the church. Most of her guests were in attendance in the church but my side was strangely absent. A couple of phone calls revealed that the bus driver had not arrived at the hotel to pick up all of my family and friends.
The next half an hour was frantic. Friends began calling in all directions.

Our wedding was being held in a church on, quite possibly, the most famous street in San Juan. Everyone from the city knows this street. Of course, it turns out that the bus driver is not from San Juan and is the only professional driver on the island that doesn't know his way around the capital.
A friend races to his car and goes in search of the bus. He finds them and guides them in.

All this time, my wife is being shuttled in circles around the neighborhood waiting for the bus to arrive. Our plans to start the ceremony without any late-comers were obviously not going to happen if the late-comers were the mother and brother of the groom and pretty much all the foreign attendees.
So, we waited.

In an effort to lighten the mood, the limo driver (her cousin, Chuqui) spotted a short, school bus making a turn in the distance and decided to comment, "Hehe, imagine if that was the bus!"
She didn't find that funny. She found it less funny when it turned out that the 'special kids' school bus was indeed the bus that the company had given us.

The wedding proceeded at breakneck pace with me trying to keep a hold of my wife's temper and not crack up at the thought of all of my family stuck in the back of the bus with a moron at the wheel.
It all turned out fine and we find pretty much all of our guests remember that episode warmly and fondly.