Sunday, January 17, 2010

I could tell you but then I'd have to ... move town.

Secrecy and stealth are key to the baby-making process.
If too many people find out what you have in mind then the couple soon starts to get treated like a ‘delivery device’ and a ‘receptacle’. If these people happen to be friends and family, then it will soon be forgotten that you are necessary at all.

Some facts which support our decision:
  1. I am of Indian descent. Although my father is no longer with us, my mother is still going strong and probably has a little shrine in the corner of her bedroom with a small sign written in Hindi which begs for my fertility. (In my mind, it plays a Bollywood soundtrack with the chorus, Go Sanjay, Hai, Hai!)
  2. My wife’s family is Puerto Rican which means that her immediate family accounts for about 10 percent of the island’s population. We just didn’t think that having a full demographic in on the proceedings would be a good thing.
  3. Both my wife and I are the same age. (I am 35 years old but we persist in saying she is 26). So then, any conversation with family about having children is going to begin by them saying, “Oh! Finally!”
I wonder if publishing this blog breaks our sacred vow of secrecy?