Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A tiny little mirror...

As you know, we're in the home stretch now. The calendar due date is the 31st (Halloween) but it is starting to look less and less likely that we'll make it that far... Lorenzo is starting to exert his authority !
It is fairly possible that he could be with us early next week... Exciting times, and I have to admit that I am crazily curious to meet the little guy. A fair amount of preparation has gone into making the apartment ready for his arrival - crib, changing table, decor, co-sleeper, and the list goes on. The car seat has been bought and prepped and we even have the smallest diapers (nappies to the British) I have ever seen in stock and ready.

It was actually the diapers that got me thinking. I couldn't fathom any time in my past that my butt could have fit anything so small. Indeed, I was a month premature and still regular sized. My wife was considered large at birth, my brother was a pretty good size as well and I seem to remember my cousin was no slouch either. How could Enzo's butt possibly be so petite?
Four weeks from his birth, he was already over six pounds and in the 95% percentile for growth - scary stuff considering that they say you can gain a pound a week in the final month. Naturally, I have started to consider those thumbnail diapers with some pity.

But how could I be so sure he would take after the Marwaha side and be so ready to cast off these tiny little nappies for something more spacious? The matter, it seems, has been decided.

Our last ultrasound, which was some time ago, allowed us the chance to get some 3D scans of Lorenzo's face. The instance his face came up on the screen, I heard the hiss of an intake of breath and tears of joy welled in my wife's eyes. It turns out that mixed in with the joyful ones, some not so joyful tears were there too.
"Sanjay, who's nose do you think that is?" she asked gently, belying her annoyance.
"erm..." I looked closer. "Mine, I guess."
She turned on me, Puerto Rican fury rising. "Oh yes. Yes. That's definitely your nose."
I couldn't understand her ire. She obviously found something about my nose desirable or she wouldn't have opted to look at it every morning.
"There's things of yours too, babe." That's the ticket. Deflect her nicely.
"Yes?" She turned to look at the screen.
"Oh yeah." Nicely done, Sanj, nicely done.
Her head came around slowly, her eyes shone sweetly. "Which parts, do you think, look like me?"
And there we had it... I'd neatly managed to corner myself.
The boy looks nothing like her ... I'll let you decide -


That is obviously his arm in front of the right side of his face and he looks like the mutant from Total Recall - but there is something of a resemblance. Here is another...


My brother is immediately going to make comments about his nose...

For fun, I got hold of a baby picture of me... It's like looking into a little mirror.


God, I hope he doesn't have my lungs !