Friday, October 21, 2011

Healthcare in the US...

So, I come to the whole issue of healthcare in the USA from a historical European mindset - so I know I must be biased. Undoubtedly, healthcare here is overpriced, over-litigated, inaccessible, and the list goes on.
But I am learning that what we have here is NOT what we have in Britain...

The level of care, comfort and attention to detail is far higher here. Not the doctors, not the nurses - who seem fairly similar - but the equipment, the resources and the organization are outstanding. I know that Boston is the Healthcare capital of the USA but I get the feeling it is fairly similar across the country.


An example...
Eileen was feeling some slight discomfort and was a little tetchy. Soon, we heard the harmonious strummings of a harp lightly dancing from the system at the nurses station. The effect was immediate and Eileen was calmed and quite happy.
I went to get her water and found a lady outside our door playing the harp ! I kid you not ! Someone thought it would be a good idea and so called the 'On-call harpist' to soothe my wife.







I am a little concerned about what my wife and child might come to expect in the future !