Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Absence and the heart ...

Since being married, Eileen and I have not been apart much. I can think of only a few occasions and none very long. In fact, the longer separations (nothing longer than two weeks) have been forced upon us by circumstance or emergency. Suffice to say, we never choose to be apart.


As much as the friends of my childhood or manhood, Eileen is my friend – but more than that, as many of you will know already – she is one person who knows everything of my soul, my thoughts, who I really am and all the darknesses that creep into the spaces that all others never see. She knows the best and worst of me and has decided that her life is better with that monster than away from that angel. It is quite something to have that in your life – something I never take lightly.

Right now, I am away from her – and it leads me down some interesting paths…

I am in India, being inducted into my new firm. The trip is overly long, overly strenuous and over-rated from a business perspective – but there are some brighter sparks in the general greyness to keep me interested. Underlying all this is the sense that I am really missing some important times at home.

Naturally, there is a nagging fear that something will happen while I am away and it leaps to mind during the day when my mind wanders. The time difference makes calling her difficult and I watch the clock closely until I hit the time that I know she will be awake.

More than this, the adventure of our pregnancy continues unabated by my absence and I feel cheated out of the whole experience. I can’t wait to get back to her.

For the romantics out there, this separation is torture. For those of us that find our life-partners later in life, I think the choice is more measured by what we know of life; call it an informed decision. And all of our future decisions flow from that connection – right now I feel disconnected…